Smiles erupted on Hilary Dunlop’s face as she stood holding the last tape of her favourite band The Supremes. Dozens of people had adorned on the small 80’s store.
A roomy speaker crooned the trendy hit “Where Did Our Love Go”
“Baby don’t leave me oh baby don’t leave me…”
Hilary Dunlop approached her ginger, slim, well dressed friend Kate Langley and pulled her to the side in amusement.
A trickle of laughter “Check it out. Look at what I found. You can record yourself”
As Kate watched, Hilary pressed the record button on the voice recorder, swinging sideways as she sang along with the speaker, her voice warm.
“I’ve got this burning burning yearning feeling inside me oh deep inside me and it hurts so bad”
Turning around singing recklessly, she lowered the microphone from her mouth.
“What is it Hilary, your water break?” Kate asked. And then with a more clear voice she asked again “Your water break?”
Hilary walked over to the record shelf, “Huck” she called out.
Huck had clean cut blonde hair and was dressed in his college football jacket. As Huck turned around, he put down the tape he was holding. The large bump on Hilary’s stomach had caught him off guard.
“Hilary…I didn’t know you would be here” he said as a short blonde girl cradled his arm.
Hilary’s eyes focused on the girl by his arm side.
“Get in the car” he told the girl while handing her the car keys.
“She’s pretty,”
“You’ve been gone for a long time”
“Did you tell your parents about the baby yet?” she asked as tears ran down her cheeks.
“I got accepted into Yale. I can’t get married”
“But you said you would do the right thing. You promised”
Huck’s voice was more expressive “We’re 17, Hilary. We’re kids”
“Yeah and I am going to have one. You have to tell them” she said.
“I can’t…If they knew about this they would kill me”
Hilary took his hand and placed it over her stomach. “Feel this. Can you believe that? She’s giggling”
“Stop” Huck said while looking around not wanting to bring attention to himself. His eyes also filling with tears.
“What am I going to do?” Hilary asked.
Hands in pockets, Huck took a more direct posture, said “Just give the baby up. I don’t want to be a father!”
10:15
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment