Home

10:27

Television Poem

I am a screen and shaped like a box. I have no heart.
Whoever switches me on, I hook immediately
I continue influencing, unnerved by preconception
I can be truthful, at the same time deceitful
Regularly I await the arrival of my spawn
It is silver, with buttons. Without it I would not be whole
Like infrared it connects to my heart. And makes me flicker

Now I am music. A child dances to my pleasant sounds
Fulfilling a set of movements. A new dance
Sliding backwards, notoriously resembling a moon walk.
I observe her, and mirror her joy
A change in transmission and deathly howls
I realise music is important to her, I instantly play a new song
In me she has invested considerable time, and in me a detrimental force,
Rises like the sun each time I am switched on,
Hooking viewers like an addiction.

Before I wrote this poem, I wanted to do something different and unusual. So, I chose to write about an object that we spend huge amounts of time in front of, the television. Of course, the television, in moderation, can be a good thing, but I wanted to present a different side to the argument, and I felt that the best way to do that was to write from the point of view of the television with a conscious. Writing from that POV makes the poem that bit more light hearted.

2 comments:

The antidote said...

I really liked this poem, heck all your poems are wicked

Randomness said...

I liked your poem it was very well written.. i don’t think i can look at the tv the same way anymore.. “is it watching me or am i watching it"..hmmm